Hosting is a special platform on the Internet to keep your website; therefrom it becomes available for people worldwide.
Depending on efficiency and server type and allocated storage space a variety of hosting types is accessible.
- Hosting at virtual server (shared hosting). Alongside with hundreds of others, your website is hosted on a powerful computer. Virtual server performance depends on every particular web hosting provider, so read testimonials carefully. Virtual server is appropriate choice for startup websites according to its price/performance ratio. As server facilities allocated to all supported websites equally, yours one may fall down in case of a sudden surge of visitors.
- Hosting at a virtual dedicated server (VPS or VDS). Almost equal to virtual server. The difference lays in less number of serviced websites – units, uncommonly tens. Here you are provided with wider permissions and abilities, such as dedicated IP- address and server administration. Plus, you can install required software.
- Hosting at dedicated server. The whole server is at your service. It’s appropriate variant for popular websites with a large number of visitors. And the more visitors the website has, the more servers it will require.
- Cloud (clustered) hosting. “Cloud”- are virtual dedicated servers consolidating their disc space. Physically these servers may even be resided at different continents. Yet if one server goes wrong, the website restores its work on other ones without any data loss.
To conclude, examine following aspects:
Technical requirements. Find out your website engine’s hosting requirements before choosing certain web hosting provider.
Hosting plan. Take your time! No matter what kind of website you are starting – a social network, online store, job site or real estate portal, don’t order huge amount of disc space or dedicated server at once. Virtual server is fine for startup websites. Only when your website active users’ database is increased, return to “how to choose web hosting” question and switch to advanced hosting.
Price. Don’t chase the best price as too cheap hosting usually equals to corresponding low service.
Testimonials. Get acquainted with customers’ testimonials. Try to find true clients’ reports among biased reviews. Absence of comments may indicate a fact that the hosting company is still not engaged in business. Negative testimonials show the way company copes with the problems.
Backup. We recommend hosting companies that automatically save and backup files. Problems always happen at an inappropriate times; hence rapid website recovery is very important. Surely, you can make backups by yourself, but after a while, we all generally forget about it.
Ok, you now know how to choose web hosting. The following step is website installation on a selected hosting:
- Register a domain. Previously in this article we already covered the question of domain name selection.
- Create your account on the hosting provider’s web site, choose appropriate tariff plan and pay it. Don’t forget to specify your website domain name in profile settings.
- Install a website. Every software product utilizes it’s own unique installation process. You can proceed with script setup by yourself or contact developer’s support services for help.
That’s all, your website is ready for start-up!
As a reminder: your website performance is in direct ratio with hosting quality. And don’t forget about backups!